I am obsessed.
I am obsessed with baking with olive oil at the moment. Whenever I see recipes that call for olive oil instead of butter, I get really excited.
Then I found this recipe. And I got doubly excited, because I had bought a tub of Fleur De Sel a while ago, and I had been looking for something to bake where I could showcase this yummy salt.
This recipe is really easy.
First, I placed the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and orange zest in the mixer bowl. Using the whisk, I whisked them until the mixture was foamy.
Then while whisking, I added the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, until the olive oil had been combined into the mixture.
The sifted flour, baking powder and salt were added in 3 parts, and folded into the mixture.
The resulting mixture was thick and creamy.
The batter was placed into the cupcake liners which have been placed in a tray until each liner was about 2/3 full.
And baked for 15 minutes until a skewer inserted emerged clean.
Allow the cupcakes to cool in the tray for about 10-15 minutes before putting them on a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the ganache, warm the cream until bubbles start to appear at the edges of the saucepan and take the saucepan off the fire. (Do not allow the cream to boil.)
Place the chocolate into the warm cream, allow the chocolate to start dissolving (about 5 minutes) before whisking until the chocolate melts entirely.
Chill the ganache in the fridge until it thickens and you can work with it. It is important that you check the ganache and not allow it to harden completely!!
Using a spoon, spread the ganache on the cupcakes and sprinkle some Fleur De Sel on the ganache.
It is a really interesting blend of flavours but the chocolate, the orange and the salt work wonderfully well together.
Chocolate, Olive Oil and Sea Salt Cupcakes (Makes 8)
For the cupcakes
2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup sugar
zest of 1 orange
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
For the chocolate ganache
100g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Put eggs, egg yolk, sugar and orange zest in mixing bowl.
2. Using the whisk, whisk until mixture is foamy.
3. Drizzle olive oil in a slow steady stream and continue to whisk until combined.
4. Add sifted flour, baking powder and salt in 3 parts and whisk until incorporated.
5. Fill cupcake liners (2/3 full) and bake at 160C for about 15 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the cupcake emerged clean.
6. Cool in pans for 10 -15 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
7. Make ganache by heating the cream in a saucepan until bubbles form at the edges. Take off the heat and add chopped chocolate.
8. Wait about 5 minutes, the whisk until the chocolate melts entirely.
9. Chill until ganache has thickened before spreading on the cupcakes using a spoon.
10. Sprinkle sea salt on the ganache.
NOTE: Cupcakes can be stored in an air tight container in the frige for up to 3 days.