So I roasted some chicken with lemon and thyme the other day. And I happened to still have some garlic that I had roasted. And I wanted to make something with them today for dinner.
I had not been to the supermarket, so the fridge was a bit bare. I did, however, find a single red pepper. It does not take a genius to reach the conclusion that a pasta was the way to go.
Pastas are wonderful. You can use 2 ingredients – garlic and olive oil – mix them with a pasta and call it dinner.
Into a pot of boiling water, I added my linguine The linguine was cooked until al dente, before it was drained. A small cup of pasta water was reserved before I drained the pasta.
I would normally use store-bought roast chicken, but I happened to have some in the freezer. All I had to do was to thaw the chicken and slice them.
In a hot pan drizzled with some extra virgin olive oil, I sauteed some sliced onions and roasted garlic until the onions were soft.
Then I added the thinly sliced red pepper and cooked a little more, just to soften the peppers as well. The chicken was added and mixed with the rest of the ingredients.
I turned off the fire. In went coarsely grounded black pepper and salt, and I added the cooked linguine to the garlic and chicken mixture. I also added some pasta water that I had reserved, and the butter.
Everything was stirred until the ingredients were evenly coated.
I topped my linguine with grated Parmesan garnished it with chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley.
Simple, yet comforting.
Roasted Lemon-Thyme Chicken and garlic Aglio e Olio (Serves 4)
2 pieces roasted chicken breast, sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small red pepper, de-seeded, and thinly sliced
2 heads roasted garlic (squeeze the garlic out of the cloves)
2 tbs chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
30g butter, cubed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely grounded black pepper
1. Cook pasta according to manufacturer’s instructions in a pot of boiling water seasoned with salt.
2. Once pasta is cooked, reserve a cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a pan. Saute onions until soft. Add garlic and red pepper. Cook a further 2 minutes.
4. Add chicken. Stir to mix.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add pasta to chicken mixture. Also add a little pasta water and the butter.
7. Stir to coat everything evenly.
8. Top with grated Parmesan and chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley.
9. Serve immediately.