Making my first breakfast casserole last week made me such a happy Sunday Morning Mommy that I thought I would experiment some more and make another for this Sunday.
This time, I decided to use pork sausages. The thing about using sausages is that they are already seasoned. All you need to do is to cut the sausage casing, take the meat out and you are good to go.
The sausage meat is raw, so some cooking is still involved. In a heated saucepan with some extra virgin olive oil, I browned the sausage meat, stirring until the meat had crumbled and it had turned from pink to brown. The meat was then taken off the heat, and drained on kitchen towels.
In a buttered 9×13-inch baking dish, I placed a layer of bread.
The sausage meat was sprinkled over the bread, followed by the tattertots and the cheese.
Then I added a final layer of bread and squished bread down as much as possible.
In a jug, I whisked together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, onion flakes, salt and pepper.
This was poured evenly over the bread.
The casserole dish was covered with cling film and placed in the fridge to chill overnight.
On Sunday morning, I baked the casserole in the oven for 45 minutes.
Once done, the casserole was placed on a wire rack for about 5 minutes so it could set.
All that was left to do was to cut it up to be served!
Pork Sausage, Tattertots And Cheese Breakfast Casserole (Serves 8)
500g hot or mild ground pork sausage
500g package frozen tattertots or hashbrown
115g shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
10 slices bread
8 large eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp onion flakes (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grounded black pepper
1. Brown sausage in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
2. Grease a 9×13″ baking dish. Place a layer of bread on the bottom of the dish.
3. Layer sausage, tattertots and cheese over the bread.
4. Combine eggs, milk, dry mustard, onion flakes salt and a dash of pepper. Place remaining bread on mixture. Press down firmly.
5. Pour egg mixture over bread.
5. Cover and chill 8 hours.
6. Preheat oven to 170C.
7. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
8. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until set.
9. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.