These days I rarely get the chance to watch much TV. When I do get a chance, I would always tune in to whatever cooking programmes I could find. (Surprise! Surprise!)
The other night, because Aden fell asleep early, I caught an episode of Nigel Slater’s Simple Suppers.
And he made this sticky chicken with lemon and honey that really made me salivate.
So today, I thought I would try making this dish.
When I looked in my pantry, I realised I didn’t have many of the ingredients, so I substituted loads of stuff, but the end results were still super yummy!
To start, I used a fork to pierce the skin and flesh of the chicken. This allows the marinate to seep into the chicken, making it more tasty. Don’t be squeamish – just pierce and poke with the fork!
I placed the zest of a lemon in a bowl and added minced garlic.
The juice of the lemon was also extracted and added to the bowl.
The next ingredient I added was Djion mustard.
Since I had run out of black peppercorns, I ground some mixed peppercorns and added them to the marinade.
Finally, I added honey and salt.
I whisked everything to combine.
I added the drumlets, mixed everything together and covered the bowl with cling film. The chicken was left to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours.
While the oven was being pre-heated, I lined a casserole dish with aluminium foil and sprayed with olive oil, The chicken drumlets were placed on the foil, and the lemon and honey mixture poured over the chicken.
The drumlets were roasted for 45-50 minutes. I turned the chicken once half way through the cooking process.
Once the chicken drumlets were brown and cooked through, I sprinkled some chopped coriander and served them hot.
Sticky, sweet and sour.
This was beyond good!!
- 10 chicken drumlets (or mid-joints, or 4 chicken thighs)
- 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Djion mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Use a fork to pierce chicken skin and flesh.
- Mix all ingredients together and pour over chicken.
- Stir to mix. Cover bowl with cling film and marinate chicken in fridge for minimum 2 hours.
- Line roasting tray with aluminium foil. Lightly grease.
- Place chicken on foil. Pour all the lemon and honey mixture over the chicken.
- Roast at 200C for 45-50 minutes, turning the chicken once half way.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander over chicken.
- Serve hot or cold