When I think of S’mores, I think of my friend, Shar who comes out with these amazing fusion dishes. She is also known among our circles as the “Milo Queen”. So you should really check out her recipe for S’mores Sandwiched Milo Brownie. It is delish!
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I saw this recipe from my current favourite book, “The Ultimate Muffin Book” by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough and I was pretty keen to bake these muffins, especially since I had all the ingredients sitting my my pantry and fridge!
I have tried quite a few recipes from this book, and thus far, every muffin that had come out of my oven was moist and not sweet!! I am not a fan of sugary stuff so I really love the muffins I am making these days! This explains why I have been posting so many muffin recipes – it really is Muffin Mania for me right now!
To make the muffins, I started by blitzing graham crackers in a food processor. If you do not have a food processor, you can also place the graham crackers in a zip lock bag and use a rolling pin to bash the crackers. I prefer some texture so I left the crackers slightly chunky.
Into a bowl, I sifted the dry ingredients, added caster sugar and the graham crackers.
And mixed to combine. This was set aside.
In a medium bowl, I whisked the egg lightly.
I added the yogurt, and whisked some more.
Finally, I added the milk, melted butter and vanilla extract and whisked again.
Finally, in went the chocolate chips and marshmallow, which I mixed with a wooden spoon.
I folded the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the wooden spoon.
The batter was spooned into muffin liners. (Fill them to 3/4 full if you want muffins with a slight dome.)
And they were baked.
I am not sure how much research went into perfecting this recipe, but perfect, it really is!
One year and 250 posts later, I still love blogging! To celebrate, I am giving away an Epica TM Accupro Digital Kitchen Scale. This is a great kitchen tool and has a capacity of 11 lbs/ 5 kg.
Here’s how to take part!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway ends on Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 12:00 a.m. Pacific time. The winner will be selected by random.org and contacted by email. If there is no response after 48 hours, another winner will be selected. Open to overseas entrants.
- 1 cup (90g) plain flour
- 1 cup (8 whole graham crackers, blitzed) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (180ml) yogurt(regular, low-fat or non-fat)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk (whole, low-fat or non-fat)
- 1/2 stick (56.7g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (130g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (37.5g) mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Whisk the flour, Graham cracker crumbs, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg until lightly beaten. Whisk in yogurt until smooth. Whisk in milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in chocolate chips and marshmallows, followed by the prepared flour mixture until the chocolate chips and marshmallows are evenly distributed in the batter. Do not over-mix.
- Fill the liners 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins have firm, rounded, lightly browned tops.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan to cool at least 5 more minutes on the wire rack before eating.
- The muffins can be stored in an air-tight container at room temperate for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I am submitting this recipe for Cook-Your-Books hosted by Kitchen Flavours.