Over the weekend, I needed to bake something quick and easy (but still tasty, of course) for a friend.
I wasn’t sure what I was going to do exactly, but I was thinking something with chocolate, and something that is suitable for both adults and kids would be ideal.
After surfing around a little, I finally settled on this recipe. It was made with chocolate (checked); it was quick and easy to put together (checked); it was definitely adult and kids-friendly (checked)!
Being a brownie bundt cake, the exterior was crunchy while the inside was slightly fudgy and chewy, just like a brownie, and it was all chocolate!
What more could one possibly ask for?
Here are the step-by-step pictorial instructions on how to make this cake!
In a sauce pan, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally.
Once the mixture was even, let it cool a little before pouring it into a mixing bowl. Add sugar and vanilla extract then mix using the paddle attachment of the mixer.
The mixture would turn grainy.
Add the eggs, one at a time and beat.
The batter would become smooth.
When the eggs were well-combined, add the flour.
Use a whisk or a wooden spoon to stir the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture.
Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and pour the batter into a greased bundt pan.
The cake was baked for about 50 minutes. Then it was cooled in the pan for about 15 minutes. Before it was turned out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the glaze, whisk together icing sugar, vanilla extract and cream. Add the milk gradually, checking the consistency of the glaze ever so often. I reckon 1 tablespoon was sufficient.
Pour the glaze on the cooled cake.
And top with sprinkles.
There you go.
An easy peasy brownie-bundt cake!
The kids loved this.
So did the adults.
So I guess it was win-win all round!
- 1 1/2 sticks (170g) butter
- 5 oz (142g) semi-sweet chocolate - I used Valrhona 64%
- 2 1/2 cups (500g) sugar - I halved this
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (250g) flour
- 1/4 cup(29.5g) cocoa powder - I used Valrhona
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (175g) chocolate chips
- 1 heaping cup (140g) of powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.5ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons (37.5ml) milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176.6°C).
- Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in eggs, beating one at a time.
- Add flour and cocoa powder and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Grease a bundt pan thoroughly with butter. Pour batter in the pan.
- Bake for about 75 minutes, or until brownie is set.
- The top will be a bit crunchy and the insides will be fudgy.
- Top with vanilla glaze and sprinkles.
- Add sugar to bowl and stir in heavy cream and vanilla until mixture resembles a thick batter.
- Add milk one tablespoon at a time, stirring until smooth – about 3-5 full minutes.
- Mixture may look lumpy at first but just continue to stir and it will come together.
- I baked this cake in a 12-cup bundt pan. You can also halve the recipe and bake in a 8x8-inch square pan, a 6-cup bundt pan or a 9x5-inch loaf pan.