A lot of the time, what I serve for dinner depends on what I have sitting in the fridge or pantry. There is almost zero wastage in my kitchen because I strongly believe that food that is edible should never be thrown out.
Today there was some rice, a piece of chicken breast and some fish cake in the fridge. I was going to cook fried rice (Chinese style) but decided something with a bit of oomph would be better. That, coupled with the fact that I was still craving for something spicy sealed the deal.
I am so glad I cooked this. Since the LAM was not eating dinner tonight, I went all the way and added extra sliced chili padi (bird’s eye chili) to the rice.
This was so spicy but oh-so-delicious!
Here’s how to cook this!
In a hot wok, saute sliced red onion in a little vegetable oil.
As soon as the onions start to soften, add lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves.
Give this a stir and add tom yum paste.
Add the chicken and stir. Cook this until the chicken is almost cooked through.
Add the fish cake and french beans. Cook for 1 minute.
Finally, add the eggs. For instructions on how to cook the eggs, see here.
Add the rice and stir to break up the rice as well as to mix all the ingredients.
Once mixed, the dish is done.
Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander and chili.
I really love this.
Si bei hiam. but si bei shiok!
- 1 1/2 cups rice, cooked (preferably over night rice)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks lemon grass, bashed
- 12-15 kaffir lime leaves
- 34- tablespoons tom yum paste
- 1/2 chicken breast, skin removed and sliced
- 1 bunch French beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 fish cake, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs, scrambled with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a dash of white pepper
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves, chopped
- 3-4 chili padi, sliced
- 3-4 tablespoons fried shallots
- In a hot wok, saute sliced red onion in a little vegetable oil.
- As soon as the onions start to soften, add lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves.
- Give this a stir and add tom yum paste.
- Add the chicken and stir. Cook this until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the fish cake and french beans. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs and the rice and stir to break up the rice as well as to mix all the ingredients.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander, fried shallots and chili, if desired.