It has been three long weeks and I had the mother of all chest and throat infections. I am normally pretty healthy and I like to keep going but when my legs turned jelly on me, even my hard head understood it was time to take a break!
But I am much better and I am kicking off with a new post about, well, ice cream!
Flushed from my success at making a very successful (and delicious) 3 Ingredients No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream, I was back in the kitchen making another batch of ice cream.
This time, I decided to make some Cookies ‘N Cream Ice Cream because Aden is mad about Oreos and ice creams. Since treats for kids are unavoidable, the least I can do is to try to give the kiddos something that does not have any added preservatives or what-nots!
As the name of this ice cream implies, this recipe requires only 3 ingredients – cream, condensed milk and crushed Oreos, and it requires no churning.
Yet, what you end up with is creamy and rich ice cream. It’s a miracle. 😀
And here are the instructions on how to make this ice cream!
Place the Oreos (or any chocolate cookies) biscuits (no cream) in a ziplock bag. Press the air out and seal.
Use a rolling pin to bash the Oreos. I prefer to leave some a tad more chunky but you can pulverize everything to bits of you prefer.
Set this aside.
In a mixing bowl, add cream (For my notes on cream, please see here.). Whisk until stiff peaks form.
Transfer 1/4 of the whipped cream into a mixing bowl that contains the condensed milk. Beat it in.
Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream in 3 batches.
Fold in the crushed Oreos.
Transfer this to an air tight container. Cover and freeze over night.
Since this is home made ice cream and contains no preservatives, take it out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving to allow the ice cream to soften.
How’s that for an easy peasy ice cream recipe? 🙂
- 1 cup (240ml) cold whipping cream - For best results, use whipping cream that has at least 35%+ fat content
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons (150ml) condensed milk - I reduced this to 125ml
- 5 Oreo cookies, filling removed, crushed
- Place the Oreos (or any chocolate cookies) biscuits (no cream) in a ziplock bag. Press the air out and seal.
- Use a rolling pin to bash the Oreos. Set this aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add cream (For my notes on cream, please see here.). Whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer 1/4 of the whipped cream into a mixing bowl that contains the condensed milk. Beat it in.
- Gently fold in the remaining whipped cream in 3 batches.
- Fold in the crushed Oreos.
- Transfer this to an air tight container. Cover and freeze over night.
- To serve, allow the ice-cream to sit on the kitchen counter top for 5-10 minutes before scooping.
- If you prefer the ice-cream to be less sweet, by all means reduce the amount of condensed milk. The original recipe called for 270ml of condensed milk. I reduced it to 125ml, which I am happy with. If you still think that is too sweet, then by all means reduce it again. I am not sure by how much one can actually reduce the condensed milk, so there is only one way to find out - try! Also, please do not ask me if this ice-cream (or any bakes) is going to be too sweet for you. It puzzles me when people ask me that - do you know how sweet I like my food? How would I be able to tell how sweet you like yours? You have to try making something at least once, eat it, then judge for yourself if the amount of sugar needs to be reduced!