I have been cooking loads of one-pot meals recently. I really like the ease of cooking both the protein and the vegetables in one pot and then all I have to do is to cook some rice and we are good to go.
Since I really love Mexican food, I thought it would be a good idea to cook some and have it with rice.
This is a really simple dish especially since I had a packet of ready-made fajita mix. I have included a recipe if you want to make your own fajita mix, but unless you have loads of different types of spices in your pantry, it really is easier to buy a pack of ready-made fajita mix.
When one cooks chicken fajita, it is very important, I think, to caramelize the chicken and the vegetables. This seems to bring out the smoky flavor of the spice mix. It’s so delicious!
And here are the step-by-step instructions on how to cook this.
Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the spice mix and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Stir to coat the chicken completely and set aside. By coating the chicken with a little oil, the chicken will not clump together when you cook them later.
Add a little olive oil in a non-stick pan. Once the pan is hot, cook the chicken in two batches, making sure that the chicken turns golden brown.
Add the onion and red pepper and cook until they become caramelized.
To make the Coriander and Lime Yogurt Sauce, add all the ingredients – Greek yogurt, chopped coriander, lime zest and juice, salt and sugar – into a bowl. Stir to mix well. If you are not using this immediately, place it in the fridge until needed.
For a quick and easy dinner, serve the chicken with rice.
Add the yogurt too. It is so yummy!
- 500g chicken breast, skin remove, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil, more for cooking
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 packet (35g) Fajita mix
- Salt, to taste
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine or Basmati rice
- 1 packet coriander, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime (about 1/8 cup, 30ml)
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup (240ml) Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Place the chicken in a bowl. Add the spice mix and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir to coat the chicken completely and set aside.
- Add a little olive oil in a non-stick pan. Once the pan is hot, cook the chicken in two batches, making sure that the chicken turns golden brown.
- Add the onion and red pepper and cook until they become caramelized.
- Serve with rice and Coriander and Lime Yogurt.
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl. Stir to mix well. If you are not using this immediately, place it in the fridge until needed.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Keep in an air-tight container until needed.
- Recipe for Coriander Lime Yogurt Sauce adapted from The Slow Roasted Italian.
- Recipe for Chicken Fajita adapted from Fussfreecooking.
- Recipe for Home made Fajita mix adapted from allrecipes.