Do you have days when you simply cannot be bothered to cook?
Then I would feel bad. Because I really do not like to tabao (take-out) food when I can cook something better at a fraction of the cost.
Well, today was one of those blah-days for me. I was just very tired, and feeling lethargic.
But I had 2 pieces of chicken legs sitting in the fridge, and I really wanted to cook them.
So I picked the easiest way to do so – marinate them well, and let my oven do most of the work.
When you have very little time, but still want your chicken to taste good, yogurt is your answer. Yogurt tenderises the meat, and also imparts a ton of flavour to it.
In a bowl, I added Greek yogurt, smoked paprika, Tabasco sauce, minced garlic, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, olive oil, salt and black pepper. I whisked everything to mix.
Then I placed the chicken in the marinade and made sure all parts of the chicken were coated. (You can also place everything in a ziplock bag and mush the bag around.)
The chicken was left to marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
In a grill pan, I added a little olive oil. Once the pan was hot, I placed the chicken, skin side down, onto the pan.
When the chicken had turned sort of brownish, and had nice grill marks, I carefully flipped the chicken over.
And continued to cook for about 2 minutes.
IMPORTANT: You can actually leave the chicken on the grill pan to finish the cooking process. That would probably take about 6 minutes per side, but since I was lazy, I transferred the chicken onto a casserole dish and roasted them in the oven until the chicken was cooked through.
And went back to bed while that was happening.
Since laziness was the theme of the day, I served my chicken with a salad.
Who says you can’t eat well even when you are tired?
Have you taken part in my giveaway?
Smoky Grilled Paprika Chicken (Serves 2)
Adapted from “from Valerie’s Kitchen”
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoons Tobasco sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
salt, to taste
2 pieces chicken leg, de-boned (You can also use chicken breast, or a combination of the 2.)
1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Place chicken pieces in a zip-lock bag.
3. Spoon the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and move the chicken around inside the bag until the marinade is evenly distributed and all the pieces are coated.
3. Place the bag in the refrigerator for a minimum 3 hours, or over-night, if possible.
4. Drizzle olive oil on grill.
5. Place chicken, skin side down onto grill. Cook for approximately 8-10 minutes per side (or more, depending on thickness of pieces), or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear. WATCH THAT THE CHICKEN DOES NOT BURN!
Place on grill for 2 minutes on each side, then transfer to a oven-proof dish and roast the chicken at 180C for 25-30 minutes.