The LAM, like many ang mohs, is not overly keen on toufu. I mean, if I were to cook it, he would eat it because he is good like that but it is definitely not something he would pick out in a menu by himself.
The one exception is egg toufu. I think it is probably because I always pan fry the toufu before combining it with the gravy.
Egg toufu these days usually come in tubes. This makes it easy to cut the toufu into small rounds. The toufu pieces were then pan-fried in batches in some canola (or any vegetable) oil on both sides until golden brown. Then they were set aside.
I seasoned the minced pork – you can also use minced chicken – with some light soy, sesame oil, oyster sauce, white pepper and corn starch.
In a saucepan, I stir-fried some minced garlic in a little vegetable oil. To this, I added the minced meat and stir-fried the meat until it was almost cook through before I added the frozen vegetables and water. I like the dish to have more gravy, so I added more water. If you like less gravy, then adjust the water accordingly.
Once the frozen vegetables had softened, I added corn starch slurry to thicken the gravy.
Finally, I added the toufu, and gently mixed to combine and the dish was ready.
Everyone in my family, including my two little rascals, loves this dish, and it is really easy to prepare. Try it, especially if you have picky eaters at home and see if they, too, would happily clean their plates!
- 4 small packs egg toufu
- 300g pork (or chicken), minced
- 1 tablespoon light soy
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2-3 cups water
- Corn starch slurry (Combine 1 tablespoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon water and mix)
- Cut toufu into small rounds. Pan-fry (in batches) in some vegetable oil on both sides until golden brown. Set aside.
- Stir-fry minced garlic in vegetable oil for about 30 seconds. Add minced meat and cook until almost cook-through.
- Add frozen vegetables and water. Continue to cook until vegetables have turned soft. Add corn starch slurry to thicken gravy.
- Add toufu and stir gently to mix.
- Serve hot, with rice.