We eat a lot of chicken at home so I am always looking for new ways to cook chicken.
I have also been cooking more Korean food at home and because I have been experimenting quite a bit with Korean sauces, I am a lot more confident when it comes to mixing and matching new flavours.
So today, I made these delicious hot and spicy barbecued chicken using loads of short cuts.
Firstly, I used pre-made hot and spicy sauce. This is one of my favourite Korean sauces, and I use it to cook loads of dishes.
Into a bowl, I added chicken thighs, hot and spicy bbq sauce, Korean chili powder, light soy sauce, sesame oil, minced garlic and salt and black pepper.
This was mixed to combine.
I covered the bowl with cling film and returned the chicken into the fridge to marinate for at least 3 hours.
Since I have not mastered the skill of using the barbecue, I simply cheated by grilling the chicken in the oven.
I placed the chicken, skin side down, onto a baking tray which had been lined and lightly greased. I sprayed the chicken with a little oil.
The chicken pieces were grilled for 20 minutes before I flipped them over and gave them another spray of oil.
The chicken thighs were returned into the oven, and grilled for another 10-15 minutes, until the skin turned golden brown and the edges started to crisp up.
And it was time to eat!
The great thing about this recipe, apart from the fact that it is so easy, is that you can adjust the level of spiciness to your liking. And of course, by grilling the chicken in the oven, there was very little washing up to do at the end as well.
Give this recipe a try and see if you like it as much as I do!
- 2 boneless chicken legs, trimmed and halved (or 4 pieces boneless chicken thigh)
- 1/8 cup Korean hot and spicy BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2-4 teaspoons Korean chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate chicken with all the ingredients in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or over night for the best results.
- Line and lightly grease a baking tray. Place chicken, skin side down, on wire rack. Lightly spray with oil.
- Grill chicken at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken over. Lightly spray with oil.
- Grill chicken at 220C for 10-15 minutes, or until chicken has turned golden brown, and the edges have started to crisp.