And my second thought? Yes, you guessed it – I HAVE TO BAKE THESE!!
Haha, am I getting predictable? Maybe just a bit.
In fact, I was chatting with my girlfriends and my hands started itching. Seriously!! I just had to go back something, and this recipe was on top of my to-list!
This is a one-pot bake. Yes! Everything gets thrown into a mixing bowl, and once mixed, you just have to mix in whatever colours you like and bake them!
Wonderful, is it not? 😀
So, I started by placing the softened butter, flour, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
Using the paddle attachment of my mixer, I mixed this until the batter was pale and smooth. This may take a while – it took me about 7 minutes.
Remember to scrape the bowl ever so often!
The batter was divided into three portions.
In one bowl, I added cocoa powder and milk.
Using a whisk, I mixed this until it was uniform.
In the second bowl, I added a few drops of pink food colour.
This, too, was whisked until well-mixed.
The last bowl contained the original batter.
Using a small ice cream scoop (or a tablespoon), I dropped spoonfuls of batter of each colour into cupcake liners.
I put too much batter in the first batch of cupcakes I made and they were really ugly, so go easy on the batter. One spoonful of each is enough!
The cupcakes were baked and once baked were allowed to cool in the baking trays for 10 minutes before I transferred them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Once the cupcakes were completely cool, I frosted them with Swiss Meringue Buttercream tinted with a little pink food colouring.
I added some sprinkles.
There you go.
Super easy to make, very moist and soft, and totally PRETTY to look at.
Time to make some cupcakes?
- 1 1/2 (225g) cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar - I reduced this to 130g
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk - I used whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pink food colouring
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted - I used Valrhona
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
- Sprinkles, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Place the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes or until pale and smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly among three separate bowls.
- Add one or two drops of pink food colouring to one bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add the cocoa and extra milk to another bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place tablespoons of each mixture in each of the cupcake liners. Give the tray a few light shakes to level the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with buttercream and top with sprinkles, if desired.