Have you ever had Jamaican Jerk Chicken?
It is a funny name and apparently the term “jerk is said to come from the word charqui, a Spanish term of Quechua origin for jerked or dried meat, which eventually became jerky in English” (source: Wikipedia).
Let me tell you, funny name or not, jerk chicken is YUMMY!
Yes, this dish may not be suitable for kids because it is made with a spice rub after all, but you do have some control over how spicy the chicken by adjusting the amount of chili you put into the marinade.
Jerk chicken is really easy to prepare since all one needs to do is to put the spice rub together, add this to the chicken, place this in the fridge over night, and grill the chicken in the oven.
Here are the step-by-step instructions.
In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the marinade. (Make a slit on the chili with a knife). Mix to combine.
Place the chicken in a ziplock bag.
Pour the marinade in the bag, and mush the chicken around to coat the chicken.
Seal the bag and let this marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably over-night.
Place the chicken in a lined and lightly greased baking tray.
Spray the chicken with oil and grill at 180°C for 20-25 minutes, turn them over, spray with oil again and grill a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown.
Serve, hot, with rice.
Tovolo Singapore is collaborating with The Domestic Goddess Wannabe to *giveaway 8 pasta claws (one each in White, Fuchsia, Lime, Midnight, Royal Purple, Stratus Blue, Sun Ray and Orange Peel) to 8 lucky winners!
To take part, simply click on the link below!
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 lime (or ½ lemon), juice only (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped (brown, yellow or white)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder)
- 1 or more scotch bonnet pepper or substitute with other chili - I used 6 bird's eye chili
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
- ½ tablespoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Fresh coriander leaves
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients for the marinade. Mix to combine.
- Place the chicken in a ziplock bag. Pour the marinade in the bag, and mush the chicken around to coat the chicken.
- Seal the bag and let this marinade in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably over-night.
- Place the chicken in a lined and lightly greased baking tray.
- Spray the chicken with oil and grill at 180°C for 20-25 minutes, turn them over, spray with oil again and grill a further 15 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown.
- Serve, hot, with rice.
*Contest ends on 22 Friday, May 2015 at 2359hrs. The winner will be selected via Rafflecopter, and notified via email. He/She has up to Monday, 25 May 2015 to respond to the notification email. Should there be no response, the winning entry will be rendered null and void, and another winner will be chosen. All prizes will be mailed to the winner by Tovolo Singapore. Please note that there is no choosing of colours for the pasta claws. Open to residents of Singapore only.