These days I am so busy with work, with planning for work, with the kids, with etc, etc, etc.
I am not complaining because I love working!
The one thing that frustrates me to no end though, is finding the time to cook for dinner.
I have to rely very heavily on one-pot meals, and soups. Basically anything that I can put into one pot, cook and serve.
Today I am sharing a recipe on Samgye-tang, or more commonly kown as Korean Ginseng Soup. I love this soup because it is super simple to prepare! I love the fact that one can choose to stuff some glutinous rice into the chicken, and have a complete meal in a pot!
I used my 3.5-litre Visions Covered Stockpot to cook this soup. I love the transparent Visions cookware, especially to cook soups because I have an innate need (I am first and foremost a homecook afterall!) to KNOW (periodically) what is happening inside my pot. Because the pot is transparent, I know when I need to add more water without having to constantly open the cover of the pot!
In addition, this super pot is so versatile! Because I have a crazy schedule, I usually place the ingredients (except the liquids) into the pot, stick it into the freezer or fridge, depending on when I plan to cook the dish, and transfer directly from the freezer (or fridge) to the stove top or microwave oven. Yes, you don’t have to thaw the food, or wait for the pot to get back to room temperature before cooking!
Let me show you how simple it is to prepare this delicious soup.
First, you need to clean the chicken. I used a chicken that weighed about 1.2kg as it is the perfect size for my family of 4, but you can use whatever size chicken that you prefer.
Into the cavity of the chicken, stuff the glutinous rice, if using. You can use white glutinous rice that has been pre-soaked for about 2 hours (or over-night). I had some glutinous rice that I had cooked to make bak chang left in the fridge so I stuffed that into the chicken. I quite like the extra flavor that the seasonings in the rice add to the soup!
Use a toothpick or skewer to seal the cavtity
Transfer the chicken into the Visions pot.
Add the red dates, ginseng and gingko nuts.
Add the water, just covering the chicken.
Place the pot on the stove and bring the liquid to a boil.
Cover the pot and cook, using very low heat, for about an hour, or until the glutinous rice has softened. Since Visions cookware retains heat very well, you can use a much lower heat setting when cooking.
As I have preciously mentioned, it is easy to see when I need to top up the water since I can easily see what is happening inside the pot!
Once the rice is cooked through, season with salt and white pepper and serve the soup immediately. This soup is so wonderfully fulfilling, especially on a slightly chilly rainy day.
I served the chicken on my super cute Corelle (Easy Weekend) dinner set. Details on how to purchase this very lovely dinner set below!
I *heart* chicken soup. 🙂
From now until 30 June, you can purchase the following Corelle, Visions Diamond, Pyrex and Corningware products at very special prices! Details below!
- 1.2kg chicken
- *50g white glutinous rice, soaked overnight
- 1 stalk American ginseng
- 6 large pitted dried dates
- 10 gingko nuts (optional)
- 1.5 litres water (may need more)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark soy suace
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Clean the chicken.
- Into the cavity of the chicken, stuff the glutinous rice, if using.
- Use a toothpick or skewer to seal the cavtity
- Transfer the chicken into the Visions pot.
- Add the red dates, ginseng and gingko nuts.
- Add the water, just covering the chicken.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the pot and cook, using very low heat, for about an hour, or until the glutinous rice has softened
- Once the rice is cooked through, season with salt and white pepper and serve the soup immediately.
- In a wok, fry the garlic in a little vegetable oil for a bout 30 seconds.
- Add the rice and stir to combine.
- Add all the seasonings and stir until well combined.
- Cool before using.